Sgt. Ervin Reuben Wakefield

ABOUT ME: Sgt. Ervin Reuben Wakefield - I was born on January 21, 1890 to Reuben Edson and Adaline Miles Wakefield (Frost) in Hardwick, Vermont. I was the sixth of seven children. At the age of four, I was sent to live with my maternal aunt, Ida May and her husband Willis Parker. I joined the Vermont National Guard.

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Letter to Aunt Ida - December 18, 1917



Ervin enlisted on this day at Fort Slocum, David's Island, NY.

Upper left of envelope has red inverted triangle with YMCA in the center. Under this logo

reads: “WITH THE COLORS”

New Rochelle, NY postmark (6-30P, DEC 20, 1917)

“Fort Slocum Military Branch” Postal Slogan

Stationary reads at top: “WITH THE COLORS” and has a blue and red flag in the upper left corner and the YMCA red triangle on the upper right corner.

Stationary reads at bottom: “HELP YOUR COUNTY BY SAVING. WRITE ON BOTH SIDES OF THIS PAPER”

To: Mrs. W. M. Parker

% Mr. Fallon[?] School Ave.

Montpelier, Vermont

Fort Slocum

Dec. 18 - 1917

Dear Aunt Ida:

You no doubt got my last letter by this time. I said that I would let you know when I made a change but I have been busy every minute. We came over here last Sat., and I have been standing in line waiting for different things such as numbers, examinations, vacanations and ect., I have not got my uniform yet but expect to very soon. Most of the fellows that came with me have been sent away then went this morning.

I am sleeping in the barracks now but they are not the best that ever was. We have a mattress, pillow, and two blankets. I am writting this letter from the Y.M.C.A. They certainly are great places. We have a large room here and it is crowed full all the time.

I would like to here from you very much but I don’t see how I can until I get located somewhere. I came very near coming home last Saturday but I thought as long as I had got this far I might as well go through with it as I would have to go through with it again later. There are about 5,000 men on the island now and as many more over in New Rochelle.

You may look for a package from me in the next day or two as I expect to send home some clothes.

You may write me a line to General Delivery Fort Slocum if you send it right away and I will look for it. If I am gone they will forward it.

With Love, Ervin

No comments: