Sgt. Ervin Reuben Wakefield

ABOUT ME: Sgt. Ervin Reuben Wakefield - I was born on January 21, 1890 to Reuben Edson and Adaline Miles Wakefield (Frost) in Hardwick, Vermont. I was the sixth of seven children. At the age of four, I was sent to live with my maternal aunt, Ida May and her husband Willis Parker. I joined the Vermont National Guard.

Monday, December 19, 2011

Letter to Aunt Ida, January 13, 1918

 

No envelope.
Stationary reads at top: “WITH THE COLORS” and has a blue and red flag in the upper
left corner and the YMCA red triangle on the upper right corner.

Fort Slocum
Jan. 13, 1918

Dear Aunt Ida:
You are no doubt home by now and have read my letter. We are certianly having some cold weather here now. If it wasn’t for the wind it wouldn’t be bad but the wind cuts right through one.

I am at the Y.M.C.A. Annex and it is about the warmest place I have struck today. They certainly are having some time here. The lady visitors are playing the piano and the boys are singing. They are making so much noise one can hardly here yourself think.

I got a letter from Ida May yesterday and she doesn’t like her job. It is not the kind of work she likes and I doubt if she stays there more than a month.

That lunch that Ma put up for me I didn’t touch until I got over on the island and I ate the last of it this morning. It certainly tastes good compared with the stuff one gets over here. It was lucky that I did save it as when I got back my mess kit or dishes had been taken so I had time to hunt up a new set.
You might take a chance and send my my bath robe and if I have gone away I will tell them where to send it to.

I expect to get over and see Ida before I get away from here. There was a rumor around this morning that the boys that are here now were going to stay here until Spring and then they were going to ship them to their camps but one can never tell anything about it. There is a bunch going out tomorrow morning.

They have stopped all the shows over as the Hospital is full of boys that have got the Grip so all gatherings have been stopped until this is over. That trip did me a lot of good my cold is nearly gone and some of the boys that had colds when I went away have still got them.

Remember me to all the people up there and don’t forget to send me Horus’s[?] address. Will write again soon.

With love to you and Uncle Will
Ervin



 

No comments: