Sgt. Ervin Reuben Wakefield

ABOUT ME: Sgt. Ervin Reuben Wakefield - I was born on January 21, 1890 to Reuben Edson and Adaline Miles Wakefield (Frost) in Hardwick, Vermont. I was the sixth of seven children. At the age of four, I was sent to live with my maternal aunt, Ida May and her husband Willis Parker. I joined the Vermont National Guard.

Monday, April 2, 2012

Letter to Uncle Will - April 1918

See timeline:  Ervin was member of 1st Vermont Infantry until April 1, 1918.  Became part of 57th Pioneer Infantry.

No date

Dear Uncle Will

Am leaving for the camp tomorrow morning Camp Greene, Charlotte N.C.
Ida and Martha are here to see me before I go
Will write as soon as I get there.
With Love,
Ervin


George Morrace's Diary included this (George was at Fort Slocum the same time as Ervin):

Friday, Apr. 5 (1918)  Left Fort Slocum at 9 AM Arrived Jersey City 12:30 pm. Left 12:30 am. Arrived Philadelphia 3:30 pm, Baltimore 6:00 pm, Washington 10:00 pm (Red Cross good to us).

Saturday, Apr. 6 (1918)  Richmond 3:00 am, Charlotte N.C. 9:00 am, Rocky Mt. S.C. 2:00 pm, Columbia 4:00 pm, arrived at Spartanburg 11:00 pm.

No comments: