Sgt. Ervin Reuben Wakefield

ABOUT ME: Sgt. Ervin Reuben Wakefield - I was born on January 21, 1890 to Reuben Edson and Adaline Miles Wakefield (Frost) in Hardwick, Vermont. I was the sixth of seven children. At the age of four, I was sent to live with my maternal aunt, Ida May and her husband Willis Parker. I joined the Vermont National Guard.

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Letter to Uncle Will - June 21, 1918

Camp Wadsworth
Spartanburg, S. C.
June 21 1918

Dear Uncle Will:

Your letter came some few days ago and also the check. Now about lending the money it is perfectly safe, where the money is loaned the fellows give a slip promiseing to pay at the first of the month and that is handed to the Captain and he keeps the money out of the pay. The fellow that was going on a furlough had gone before I rec’d the check.

Since I wrote you last I have been made Sergeant and my pay has been raised to $38.00 dollars a month. I was made Sergeant over 2 Corporal’s and they don’t seem to like it very much but guess they will have to stand it.

It started in raining since last night and it certainly has been some rain. One side of our tent leaks and there is a regular brook running through the center of the floor.

We expect to get some men from the next draft witch will be in here in about 1 week when they get here. I expect we will have plenty of work to do. We are all going to non-commissioned officer school witch is studying from maps and all kinds of signal practice.

Most of the boys are getting about 8 hours drilling a day now and you ought to see them. They are as black as the ace of spades. The sun is very warm here.  We have to change our under clothes about every day we sweat so much but it is a good thing as we are sure to keep clean. We take a bath every day and it feels good to be in under the showers everyday after our drilling.

The Y. M. C. A. now here in camp are picking out a team that will be called a all star team composed of the best men in the Pioneer division to play the 6th division witch is composed of Regular Army men. This game will be played on the 4th of July. I expect there will be some excitement and all kinds of money put up on the game. I don’t know if I will be picked or not I believe I had rather see the game than play.

Some of the Pioneer Regiments are beginning to leave for France this week. But it will be some time before we go probably late in the fall.

I will keep you well posted about everything that takes place as we can tell within one or two weeks of when we are going to move.

Hoping this finds you O. K. I remain with love to you both.

Ervin R Wakefield








No comments: