Sgt. Ervin Reuben Wakefield

ABOUT ME: Sgt. Ervin Reuben Wakefield - I was born on January 21, 1890 to Reuben Edson and Adaline Miles Wakefield (Frost) in Hardwick, Vermont. I was the sixth of seven children. At the age of four, I was sent to live with my maternal aunt, Ida May and her husband Willis Parker. I joined the Vermont National Guard.

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Letter to Aunt Ida - May 6, 1018

Unidentified men in a trench.



Camp Wadsworth
May 6th 1918


Dear Aunt Ida

Your letter came some time ago but I have been so busy and time goes by so fast that I have neglected to write.  You will have to forgive me this time.
I got the sugar and money O.K. and I tell you that the sugar tasted good, better than ever before.
We have been doing all kinds of work.  They seem to use this regiment for all kinds of hard work such as digging trenches, putting up tents, pulling them down when the fellows go away and cleaning up around the places they leave and clearing land.  Once in a while we get a little drilling.  I get out of a little work on account of playing ball but I don’t miss much of it.
I have been trying to transfer into some regiment that is going across but don’t have very good success.  The fellows all want to be across and you would to if you was down here and see the boys march away by the thousands.  It is some sight.
The sun is some hot here, the last few days it has been about 105 in the shade and by the looks of me now in about 1 month I will look just like some of these nigers down here.
I didn’t realize it had been so long since I wrote to you and I will not let it happen again.
I am glad that Uncle Will got that job as lister.   It is just the kind of a job for him to get and I think he is just the man for the position.
The hot days here take all of anyone’s ambition and when it gets night we all want to get to bed.  It is now 10 o’clock and the boys want to go to bed so will close but will write you a long letter Sunday.
With love and Kisses
    Ervin








No comments: