Sgt. Ervin Reuben Wakefield

ABOUT ME: Sgt. Ervin Reuben Wakefield - I was born on January 21, 1890 to Reuben Edson and Adaline Miles Wakefield (Frost) in Hardwick, Vermont. I was the sixth of seven children. At the age of four, I was sent to live with my maternal aunt, Ida May and her husband Willis Parker. I joined the Vermont National Guard.

Thursday, May 17, 2012

Letter from Aunt Ida - May 18, 1918



May 18, 1918
Camp Wadsworth

Dear Aunt Ida:

Your letter came a few days ago and I have just got around to answer it.
I am getting along fine and I don’t mind it so much since I have got used to this kind of  camp life.
Last week I was put in the kitchen to be a mess Sergt. for our Co. mess.  I go to school twice a day.  I think I will like it very much.  All I have to do is see that the work is done in the kitchen and take care of the supplies  I will let you know how I come out on the job.  It seems now that the Co. is going to be filled and I expect we will do something soon.  There was a rumor that we were going north but I guess there is not anything to it.  It would be fine if we could go to Fort Ethan Allen but no such luck.
We have been playing ball here three games a week and have had good luck but don’t expect it to last much longer.
There was a fellow from Mass. that committed suicide this morning (when we were all to breakfast) in the bath house next to ours and of course all the boys had to go down and look at him. I was one.  He cut his throat from ear to ear with a razor.  He had more courage than I would have or want.
We have all got new rifles and packs so we are ready to go any where they want but all we lack is the men.
I stay at the camp most of the time now and I haven’t got much to write about.  Before I went in the kitchen I used to go down town to get a feed but now I have most anything I want.  This noon I had tenderloin stk and mashed potatoes with green peas so you see I am better fixed than some.

Hoping that finds you both in good health.
I remain With Love
    Ervin








No comments: